How to Fix Cisco VPN Client Error 442 on Windows 7

by dcurtis 1/4/2011 6:51:00 AM

This is mostly a note for my benefit so that if I ever have this problem again, I know where to look.  Wink

I was using the VPN Client with no issues for months and then suddenly I kept getting the 442 error and after following all of the suggestions I found through search, I still couldn't resolve the issue.  Finally I found this site here which solved my issue.  I recently installed the new Intel my WIFI driver and it uses the internet connection sharing service to share the signal.  Apparently that service and the VPN Client don't play nice with each other.

Currently rated 3.3 by 6 people

• Currently 3.333333/5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

9/14/2011 10:27:06 AM

Bundit

www.verier.co.uk/.../...dapter-with-cisco-vpn.aspx

1.In Network Connections, right-click your Cisco Systems VPN Adapter which should be disabled and enable it

2.Right-click your Cisco Systems VPN Adapter again, this time selecting "Diagnose", and you should get the following prompt (your adapter may be numbered different from Local Area Connection 3)

3.Select "Reset the network adapter ........ ", this will take a while (around 60 seconds on my laptop)

4.Windows will again prompt you saying the IP configuration is still invalid, ignore this and just press Cancel.

5.Go back to the Network Connections, right-click your VPN Virtual Adapter and Disable.

6.Now open Cisco VPN, and you should be able to connect without any issues.

The problem will reoccur every time the connection is not cleanly closed - i.e. suspend / hibernate / loss of signal. However all you need to do is follow the above steps and it'll reset itself.

Bundit th

2/8/2012 11:08:55 AM

Y J Vala

Disabling the ICS really works... thanks a lot

Y J Vala in

3/28/2012 12:42:34 AM

Avron Lucas

Firstly I am using 32bit Windows 7 Premium supplied by my company and my client have Cisco VPN which I need to access. But I keep on getting 442 error. Now I have tried the solution by clicking on diagnose and guess what it only displays: Explore additional options and close troubleshooter. SO how now? the client's technicians have tried form weeks now and I have tried but still cannot get any resolve.

Why does Microsoft not just sort this issue with Cisco so that we can work???

HELP HELP Please

Avron Lucas za

4/15/2012 2:23:21 AM

dcurtis

Hi Avron--did you try disabling the ICS service?

dcurtis

7/21/2012 6:46:36 PM

Praveen

Nice post.

For Windows 8 and Cisco VPN problems, you should check:
praveenbattula.blogspot.in/.../...ient-errors.html

Praveen in

8/28/2013 5:20:04 PM

Jon

Disabling the ICS service on Windows 7 took care of this issue for me. Wish I would have found this article about 4 hours ago.
Thanks for the posts.

Jon

8/28/2013 5:34:36 PM

dcurtis

@Jon--glad the post helped! I probably spent around 4 hours the first time, too.

dcurtis

10/6/2013 9:12:35 PM

Tee Roy

I have tried everything I have found on the web short of reimaging the PC,
Did not have Internet Sharing on.
The Name in RegEdit was Correct.
Reset the Adapter.
Reinstalled VPN.
Still Getting 442 Error.
Any other suggestions?

Tee Roy us

10/6/2013 10:25:57 PM

dcurtis

@Tee--when you say "Did not have Internet Sharing on," does that mean that the service was in a stopped state? Even if it is already stopped, go ahead and disable it. Also, what is your operating system? If it is Windows 8, take a look at Praveen's post.

dcurtis

9/26/2014 4:25:59 PM

pingback

Pingback from thejoni.com

how to vpn windows 7How to!! from Mr.joni | How to!! from Mr.joni

thejoni.com

10/24/2014 6:49:28 PM

pingback

Pingback from nwaha.org

How To Fix Cisco Vpn Error 51 Errors - Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8

nwaha.org

(Will show your Gravatar icon)

Country flag

293012345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
3456789

View posts in large calendar

Pages